Farewell and appreciation receptions to recognize staff and faculty
May 1, 2014
Six staff members and two faculty members will be honored at student-organized farewell and appreciation receptions from 3 to 5 p.m. in the VanNuys Medical Science Building Atrium.
The Medical Student Council will host a reception on Friday, May 2, to recognize the following individuals:
- Francis Brahmi, Ph.D., director of the Lifelong Learning Competency, Ruth Lilly Medical Library
- Dennis Deal, director of medical student records, Office of Medical Student Affairs
- Angel Fernandez, coordinator, presentation technology services, Office of Education Technology.
- Myrna Gray, director of student technology, Office of Medical Student Affairs
- Tim Hill, assistant coordinator, presentation technology services, Office of Education Technology
- Ruth Patterson, medical student education coordinator, Department of Radiology
- Carlene Webb-Burton, assistant director of student events, Office of Medical Student Affairs
Dr. Brahmi, Deal and Fernandez have spent more than 30 years at IU. Gray's career spans more than 25 years of service to the university. Patterson will retire at 24 years of service. Hill and Webb-Burton's time at IU exceeds a decade.
In addition, Margaret Gaffney, M.D., associate professor of clinical medicine, will be recognized Monday, May 5, during a reception hosted by the Dermatology Student Interest Group. A practicing dermatologist, Dr. Gaffney served as director of the Introduction to Clinical Medicine Course and of the Moral Reasoning and Ethical Judgment Competency. She joined the IUSM faculty in 1986.
“There has been tremendous support and interest in this effort,” said Dessi Moneva, a second year medical secretary of the Medical Student Council, which organized the May 2 event. “No official funds or student activity fees were used to put on these events; they are being funded solely through donations. We simply want to let these individuals know how much they have meant to us.”
A student-led reception was also hosted in January to recognize Mary Alice Bell, director of mentoring and student development. She, Gray and Webb-Burton served as advisors to many medical students during their careers at the School of Medicine.
Participants at both events are invited to stop by and express thanks and well wishes, sign cards and enjoy refreshments.
Personal messages for the individuals recognized at the May 2 reception may also be address to email@example.com. Messages for Dr. Gaffney may be dropped off at the IUSM Office of Medical Student Affairs or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.