Global health award seeks nominations
July 25, 2013
Núria Morral, Ph.D., chair of the IU School of Medicine Awards Committee, announces that the Gairdner Foundation is seeking nominations for the 2014 Canada Gairdner Global Health Award.
This award recognizes individual scientists who have contributed "major scientific advances in any one the four areas of basic science, clinical science, or population or environmental health that have, or have the potential to, make a significant impact on health outcomes in the developing world."
Nomination requirements include:
- A short introduction of about 150 words that describes the key role of the nominee in relevant successful scientific advances.
- Comparison of the work of the nominee with that of others in the field and a clear articulation of what distinguishes the nominee's work from other work in the field.
- A brief biography of the nominee, including academic, administrative and research positions, awards or recognitions. Identify five top publications.
- The nominee’s full current curriculum vitae, bibliography and a contact sheet listing full position, titles, letters, business address, telephone number, fax number, email address and support-person contact.
- At least two letters of support from international level colleagues familiar with the nominee's work, describing the nominee’s major contribution to global health.
Nominees will be reviewed by an advisory committee comprised of 12 to 15 international experts in the field of Global Health who have a clear understanding of the basic, clinical population, and social science issues in global health. Self-nominations are not accepted. No posthumous awards will be granted.
The prize is valued $100,000 CDN, and is for the personal use of the recipient. An award citation and a commemorative item will also be presented.
The Canada Gairdner Global Health Award was initiated in 2009 after the Gairdner Foundation received a $20 million allocation from the Canadian government. The award recipient is expected to participate in the foundation’s national programs, which take place across Canada.
Applications are due Tuesday, Oct. 1. Please submit in electronic format (MS Word or PDF) to firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on nomination submissions, visit http://www.gairdner.org/content/canada-gairdner-global-health-award