IU School of Medicine alumni award nominations due Feb. 21.
Jan. 16, 2014
The IU School of Medicine Alumni Association annually recognizes alumni and faculty who have brought distinction upon themselves, their profession, and the IU School of Medicine in three separate categories: the Glenn W. Irwin Jr., M.D. Distinguished Faculty Award; the Early Career Achievement Award; and the highest distinction awarded by the Alumni Association, the Distinguished Alumni Award.
- Glenn W. Irwin, Jr, M.D. Distinguished Faculty Award: Named after a past dean of the IU School of Medicine and chancellor for IUPUI, this award was first presented in 1987 by the IUSMAA to recognize faculty with outstanding service to the IU School of Medicine through dedication to students, colleagues, research, or the medical profession. Current or former faculty of the IU School of Medicine, including its campuses throughout the state of Indiana, are eligible for this award. The faculty member need not be an IU School of Medicine alumnus.
- Early Career Achievement Award: In 2006 the IUSMAA established this annual recognition for outstanding accomplishments in medicine and/or service to the School by medical alumni who have graduated within 15 years of the award presentation. All graduates and former trainees who departed IUSM within the past 15 years are eligible for this award.
- Distinguished Medical Alumni Award: Since 1970, nearly 60 alumni from the IU School of Medicine were bestowed the honor of Distinguished Alumnus. Awarded annually, this award recognizes outstanding alumni of the school who have brought honor to their alma mater by distinguishing themselves either professionally or by giving extraordinary service to the school. IU School of Medicine graduates and former trainees are eligible for this award.
For the purpose of these awards, an alumnus is defined as any graduate or former trainee (resident, fellow, or intern) from either the professional or graduate divisions of the school. Nominations will be accepted until Friday, Feb. 21. Each nominee requires a separate form.
A nomination is considered complete when the following materials are submitted:
- The IU School of Medicine Alumni Association Award Cover Page with a letter of nomination from the person nominating the alumnus.
- At least two supporting letters of nomination from a colleague, department chair, or other person with specific knowledge on the candidates credentials as they relate to the specific award.
- The nominee’s curriculum vitae.
- Any additional supporting documents the nominator deems important to demonstrate this nominee’s credentials for the selected award.
Since these awards recognize alumni who have brought honor to their alma mater through distinguished career service, achievement, and/or extraordinary service to the IU School of Medicine, please include specific examples of the nominee’s achievements, including any service by the nominee on boards, committees, and organizations at the department, school, campus, university, state or national level.
In addition, nomination letters should include information pertinent to the award for which the alumnus is being nominated. Distinguished Alumni and Early Career Achievement Award letters of nomination should include specific information about the contributions the nominee has made to the field of medicine and/or their contributions to advancing the IU School of Medicine and/or its Alumni Association. Glenn W. Irwin Jr., M.D. Distinguished Faculty Award letters of nomination should include information about teaching and education of students and house staff.
Nominations forms will be accepted by email at IUSMalum@iupui.edu; fax at 317-274-8843 or mail to IUSM Alumni Awards, c/o Jayme Little, Director, 340 West Michigan Street, Indianapolis, IN 46202.
Award recipients will be recognized during the Alumni Weekend 2014 Strawberry Shortcake Alumni Luncheon on Saturday, May 17, at the NCAA Headquarters in Indianapolis. Award recipients must be able to attend this luncheon to receive their award.
For more information, contact Alumni Director Jayme Little at 317-274-1345, 1-866-267-3104 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Membership status in the IUAA does not affect the outcome of the awards process. A listing of the previous Medical Alumni Association Award recipients can be found on the IUSMAA website.